Goddard is in the USD 265. The district is home to over 5,500 students K-12. Goddard has five elementary schools, two intermediate schools, two middle schools and three high schools. Many families specifically choose to locate in the Goddard USD 265 because of our long-standing reputation for excellence and student achievement.
Services for students with special education needs are provided through the Sedgwick County Special Education Cooperative.
Goddard Public Schools serves more than 5,500 students in grades PreK-12. Equipment and facilities are continuously upgraded, keeping our students on the cutting edge of technological advancements giving them an advantage in both collegiate and vocational settings. Goddard Public Schools is a rapidly-growing district. Based upon the number of houses under construction and new subdivisions on the drawing board, we anticipate rapid growth to continue for several years. This growth has led to significant expansion of district facilities in recent years.
Our community offers many progressive choices for new residents. Goddard boasts four bustling subdivisions offering new starter homes and upper scale models. The Goddard School District has a nationwide reputation for providing the best in education and their innovative teaching methods combined with state of the art schools and equipment.
Goddard also has a variety of community activities and is in close driving distance to many area attractions and recreation locations.
The City of Goddard also has many organizations: Goddard Boy Scout Troop 776, Goddard Jr Baseball / Softball League, Goddard Jr Football & Cheerleading, Goddard Lion Pride Instrument Music Program, Goddard Lions Club, Kansas Young Guns Wrestling Club.
Goddard is located just south of US-400, a few miles west of downtown Wichita. Goddard’s location is great for commuting to and from work with ease.
Goddard Local Attractions/Activities
Cool off during the summer at the pool!
The City of Goddard churches
Assembly of God-Goddard Community Church, First Baptist Church, The Church of the Holy Spirit, Beacon Community Church, Goddard United Methodist Church, Pathway Church- Goddard Campus (New facility opening in 2015)
The Goddard Public Library
We have a collection of 24,561 materials. The rotating collection contains approximately 400 volumes. Also available are reference materials, periodicals, videos and audio books.
Goddard – History
Like many Kansas communities, Goddard grew out of the Kansas prairie largely as a result of the colonization movement following the Civil War.
In 1862, the Homestead Act offered free land to any adult citizen, or alien intending to become a citizen. Many Union Army soldiers and immigrants took advantage of this offer. Sedgwick County was organized in 1867, and by 1870 its present boundaries were established. Wichita became the county seat with the first railroad reaching there in 1872.
By 1873, Attica Township was established west of Wichita and drew many settlers from eastern states and European countries. A school house was built just north of the current city of Goddard. During this time a small settlement developed ten miles west of Wichita. It was called the Ten-Mile Post, and later, it was known as the Ten-Mile Corner. A town was established February 11, 1875 and named Blendon.
About the same time that Blendon was being built, another town was trying to develop southwest of Goddard on the A. L. Lyman farm. A post office, store and restaurant were established. A Methodist church was planned at Blendon during 1882-1883, but before construction started the Santa Fe Railroad made it's second survey and located the railroad 1 1/2 miles south through the current city of Goddard.
The town site of Goddard was platted on the John Coleman farm. He homesteaded the land in 1875. In 1883 Coleman sold the farm to C. M. Faulk, who, after 30 days, sold it to E. Wilder. He platted the original town of Goddard on September 20, 1883. Goddard received its name from J. F. Goddard, a surveyor, who was also the vice president and general manager of the Santa Fe Railroad Company. By March, 1884, the railroad tracks reached the present site of Goddard.
After Goddard became a town, the Blendon and Afton post offices were combined with Goddard. Several buildings were moved to Goddard from Blendon. A two-story town hall was moved to the corner of 3rd and Oak Street and a blacksmith shop was located on Cedar Street. The lumber for the Methodist church at Blendon was reloaded, hauled to Goddard, and erected on its present site. Goddard was incorporated in 1910.
Like most towns, Main Street was the primary place of business in early years. Most of the buildings along the west side of Main Street were destroyed by fire in 1919. In the center of town, in the middle of Main Street, was an old windmill. The famous town pump was 146 feet deep.
Retail trade in Goddard boomed in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Over the years Goddard gradually transformed from a small farming community into a town where commuters made up a larger and larger percentage of the population. The newest wave of growth is now on the threshold as more and more families seek out Goddard for our quality community environment, top-notch schools and proximity to Wichita.